Thursday, June 3, 2010

Wired doesn't get it

Wired sent me an e-mail, advertising their new Wird-on-iPad application.

I don't particularly mind the e-mail, as I am a subscriber to Wired and have given them my e-mail address. I expect they will send e-mails. And they have sent e-mails. None have interested me.

But I had heard about their app-for-iPad, and how it was poorly designed. I was not impressed with their e-mail either (although I have no specific fault with it).

So I decided to unsubscribe from the e-mail list. Their e-mail had the necessary "unsubscribe" link, and I used it. The link brought up a confirmation page (used by many unsubscribe mechanisms) and after clicking on the "confirm" button, I got a new page that read:

"Thanks! Please allow 10 business days for your subscription for Wired to be removed."

This message is amusing and disappointing. It tells me that Wired has an inefficient process, probably a manual one. The key is the phrase 'business days' in the text. Computers don't have the notion of business days, only people do. Ironic, as Wired is all about the new tech and shiny toys.

I suspect that I will be dropping my subscription to Wired. If they can't use the tech that they talk about, then they are demoted to the level of marketing. And I don't need marketing, I need information.

No comments: