Tuesday, October 4, 2011

What have you done for you lately?

The cynical question that one asks of another is "What have you done for me lately?".

A better question to ask of oneself is: "What have I done for me lately?".

We should each be learning new things: new technologies, new languages, new business skills... something.

Companies provide employees with performance reviews (or assessments, or evaluations, or some such thing). One item (often given a low weighting factor) is "training". (Personally, I think it should be considered "education"... but that is another issue.)

I like to give myself an assessment each year, and look at education. I expect to learn something new each year.

I start each year with a list of cool stuff that sounds interesting. The items could be new programming languages, or a different technologies, or interpersonal skills. I refer to that list during the year; sometimes I add or change things. (I don't hold myself to the original list -- technology changes to quickly.)

Employers and companies all too often take little action to help their employees improve. That doesn't mean that you get a free pass -- it means that you must be proactive. Don't wait for someone to tell you to learn a new skill; by then it will be too late. Look around, pick some skills, and start learning.

What are you doing for you?

No comments: