Thursday, March 6, 2014

I thought I knew which languages were popular

An item on Hacker News lead me to a blog post by the folks at Codacy. The topic was "code reviews" and they specifically talked about coding style. The people at Codacy were kind enough to provide links to style guidelines for several languages.

I expected the usual suspects: C, C++, Java, C# and perhaps a few others.

Here's the list they presented:

  • Ruby
  • Javascript
  • Python
  • PHP

My list was based on the "business biggies", the languages that are typically used by large businesses to "get the job done". Codacy is in business too, so they are marketing their product to people who can benefit from their offerings. In other words, this is not an open-source, give-it-away-free situation.

Yet they list languages which are not on my "usual suspects" list. All of their languages are not on my list. And none of my languages are on their list. The two lists are mutually exclusive.

The languages that they do list, I must admit, are popular and mature. Individuals and companies use them to "get the job done". Codacy thinks that they can operate their business by focussing on these languages. (Perhaps they have plans to expand to other languages. But even starting with this subset tells us something about their thought process.)

I'm revising my ideas on the languages that businesses use. I'm keeping the existing entries and adding Codacy's. In the future, I will consider more than just C, C++, Java, and C#.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very web centric list. And I would add Go to your list.