Sunday, January 24, 2010

Linux updates vs. Windows updates

This past week, Mozilla released a new version of the Firefox web browser. (Version 3.6, for those who are interested.)

Along with the announcement, various pundits and commentators recommended that we update our Firefox to the new version.

For a while, I had to think about that recommendation. Not because I disagree with it (I believe in staying current with all software, including browsers, compilers, and operating systems) but because I didn't understand it. Why was it necessary to make such a recommendation?

After some pondering, and then some use of my computers at home (one of which runs Windows), I understood.

Microsoft Windows has a built-in update system, but it works only with Microsoft products. (And not necessarily all Microsoft products. It won't update you if the new version requires a new license.)

I've been living in the Linux world. The Linux distros all have update mechanisms -- at least the distros that I have been using, which include SuSE, Ubuntu and its variants, and Debian. The update mechanisms update all of the installed software. If I've selected Firefox, the distros (SuSE, Ubuntu, and Debian) will all install a new version for me. I don't have to do anything -- except run the updates. (And they kick in automatically, but politely ask permission to install the new versions.)

Side note: The different distros run on their own schedules. Some distros send updates immediately, other take a few weeks. Ubuntu is fairly fast, SuSE is a bit slower, and Debian is slower still. So I don't have the latest and greatest versions of everything immediately. But they do get there, eventually.

In the Windows world, the Microsoft updates handle Microsoft products, but beyond that you are on your own. If you want a new version of a non-Microsoft product, the Microsoft update does not help you.

(I have heard of a Linux-like update for Microsoft Windows, one that installs the latest version of open source products, but I have been unable to find it.)

So now I understand. With Linux, I get the latest version, "for free" since I need take no special action. With Windows, I get the latest version of Microsoft software (except when it costs money) and for other software I am on my own.


No comments: