Friday, September 11, 2009

Opening the gates for Windows

The SystemMax PC from TigerDirect arrived today. This is a 2.4 GHz dual core, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB DASD unit. I ordered it for Windows 7, and set the PC up this afternoon.

Installing Windows 7RC was fairly easy. Microsoft has made the install just as good as the installs for most Linux distros. The PC started, booted off the DVD, started the install program, detected the video card and internet interface, asked a few questions, and ran for about ten minutes. The process did require two restarts. When it was finished, I had Windows 7 running.

I downloaded and installed the Microsoft Word Viewer and Microsoft Excel Viewer. I also downloaded and installed Visual C# Express and Web Developer Express. They included SQL Server Express and the Silverlight runtime libraries.

This is a big event in my shop. I banished Windows back in 2005 and used nothing but Linux since then. Now Windows is back on my network.

Why allow Windows? To get experience with Microsoft SQL Server. Lots of job posts list it as a required skill. I will do what it takes to get a good job.


No comments: