Wednesday, October 3, 2007

What Techies want

Techies are not so hard to understand. Their wants are simple. Christine Comaford, back in the 1980s, listed four things that techies want:

1) Lavish praise
2) Fun projects to work on and fun tools to work with
3) Free beer and pizza
4) Some money

I liked this list so much I stole it. I repeat it when I can (always giving Ms. Comaford-Lynch credit).

I also modified this list. My modified version is:

1) Lavish, genuine praise
2) Fun projects to work on and fun tools to work with
3) Free beer and pizza, although perhaps not for dinner every night
4) Some money

People (non-techie people, that is) are surprised at the position of money. And at the qualifier "some". Techies don't want lots and lots of money. In general, they want enough to live in reasonable quarters, pay for things like food and the phone bill, and have enough left over for books, music, games, and a few other vices.

It's not that hard.

No comments: